Baum, L. Frank. The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus. New York: Signet Classic, 1986.
I have a large collection of Christmas books. As I was unpacking them for the holiday season, I came across this slim gem. It has been a number of years since I have read it so I picked it up for my holiday reading pleasure. What a delightful treasure it was. Written in 1902, this book answers some of these age-old questions about this important jolly gentleman.
- Who is Santa Claus? An orphan.
- Where does he live? Laughing Valley
- What was the first toy he made? A carved cat figurine
- Who was the first child to receive a toy? Weekum
- Who helps Claus build and color the toys? Ryls, Knooks and Nymphs
- How does he manage to travel over the entire world on Christmas Eve? Exceptionally swift reindeer
- Who were the first two reindeer? Flossie and Glossie
- How many reindeer pull Santa Claus’ sleigh? Ten (Flossie and Glossie, Reckless and Speckless, Racer and Pacer, Fearless and Peerless, and Ready and Steady)
- Where does Santa Claus get his sleigh bells? The King of the Gnomes
- Who now rides in the Sleigh with Santa Claus? A fairy, a pixie, a knook, and a ryl
Pick up a copy of this little, but informative book on Santa Claus. He is a wonderful man and friend to children everywhere!
This year for Christmas I purchased a copy for each of my youngest nephews. I love to send books for Christmas. In keeping with my plan to send something for now and later, this was the book for Christmas Future. I can imagine each of my nephews snuggled up with one of their parents being read this charming book.